For an excellent discussion about the state of the art in 3D design, click on over to Ann Steffora Mutschler’s article on Chip Design Magazine’s System-Level Design Community (Solving Memory Subsystem Bottlenecks in 3D Stacks). The article discusses several key aspects of 3D design with memory including Wide I/O and cost issues that argue both for and against 3D assembly. Essentially, performance, power, and volumetric space requirements drive the “for” arguments. Reliability, cost, and assembly-process maturity issues drive the “against” arguments. Get a quick read from this article.
Search EDA360 Insider
- A head-to-head comparison of the ARM Cortex-M4 and –M0 processor cores by Jack Ganssle
- Friday Video: SoC in tiny 500mg backpack transforms cockroach into radio-controlled exploration vehicle
- Friday Video: A different kind of fab with some very, very cool machines
- Friday Video: Get the latest skinny on the IPC-2581 open interchange standard for PCB design
- Smartphones: Where PCIe has not gone before—but will. Sooner rather than later.
EDA360 Tag Cloud2.5D 3D 20nm 28nm Altera Analog Android Apple ARM ARM architecture ASIC Cadence Cortex-A15 Cortex-M0 DAC Dave Jones EDA EDPS FinFET Flash FPGA Freescale Freescale Semiconductor GlobalFoundries IBM Intel iPhone Jim Hogan Linux Low Power microcontroller Micron Microsoft Mixed Signal Nvidia Qualcomm Samsung SDRAM SoC STMicroelectronics Texas Instruments TSMC USB verification Xilinx
- 39 low-cost boards for embedded Linux application development starting with Raspberry Pi. Want the list?
- How about a quick and easy guide to ARM Cortex processor cores? Got one for you from ARM TechCon 2011
- Nvidia Tegra 3 based on five ARM Cortex-A9 cores is mobile processor of the year declares Microprocessor Report
- Want a peek at a possible Qualcomm 3D IC roadmap?
- 3D Thursday: A look at some genuine 3D NAND cells, courtesy of Micron
- Ingenious architectural features allow ST to extract maximum performance from new microcontroller family based on ARM Cortex-M4. Cost: less than 6 bucks in 1000s
- The DDR4 SDRAM spec and SoC design. What do we know now?
- Raspberry Pi + Canon = Camera Pi: ARM 11 and Linux hack of a Canon 5D Mk II DSLR
- Freescale starts sampling $0.49 Kinetis L microcontrollers based on ARM Cortex-M0+ processor core
- 3D Thursday: Generation-jumping 2.5D Xilinx Virtex-7 2000T FPGA delivers 1,954,560 logic cells using 6.8 BILLION transistors (UPDATED!)
Download the EDA360 Vision Paper here: