This article on the CNN Web site tells you what Verizon thinks of apps: they’re essential. Verizon’s Application Innovation Center in the SoMa (South of Market) region of San Francisco has all the trappings of a 21st-centruy apps factory: free development tools, free access to development handsets, wireless networking, a shielded test facility, and free Barrista-crafted lattes. All of this screams “We want apps!” Why? Because the availability of apps now drives the cellular landscape. When voice service is a given, when Internet access is a given, when text messaging is a given, then apps become the differentiator. That’s precisely what the EDA360 philosophy says too.
Search EDA360 Insider
- A head-to-head comparison of the ARM Cortex-M4 and –M0 processor cores by Jack Ganssle
- Friday Video: SoC in tiny 500mg backpack transforms cockroach into radio-controlled exploration vehicle
- Friday Video: A different kind of fab with some very, very cool machines
- Friday Video: Get the latest skinny on the IPC-2581 open interchange standard for PCB design
- Smartphones: Where PCIe has not gone before—but will. Sooner rather than later.
EDA360 Tag Cloud2.5D 3D 3D IC 20nm 28nm 32nm 40nm Agilent Altera AMD Analog Android Apple ARM ARM architecture ARM Cortex-A15 ASIC Broadcom Cadence Canon Cortex Cortex-A15 Cortex-M0 DAC Dave Jones DDR3 DDR4 Double Patterning EDA EDPS Field-programmable gate array FinFET Flash Flash memory FPGA Freescale Freescale Semiconductor GlobalFoundries Google IBM Intel IP iPad iPhone JEDEC Jim Hogan Kinect Linux Low Power Lytro microcontroller Micron Microsoft Mixed Signal Multi-core processor Nvidia OrCAD pcb Printed circuit board Qualcomm Robot Samsung SDRAM Snapdragon SoC STMicroelectronics SystemC Texas Instruments TI TSMC USB verification video Wide I/O Xilinx
- 3D Thursday (early): Steve’s Improbable History of 3D ICs? Six decades of 3D electronic packaging
- 3D Thursday: Altera adds Avago MicroPOD optical interconnects to FPGA package to handle bidirectional 100Gbps Ethernet
- 3D Thursday: Intel and FinFETs (Tri-Gate transistors)—a different kind of 3D
- 3D Thursday: How about a closeup of the Avago MiniPOD optical interconnect on the Altera Optical FPGA?
- Generation-jumping 2.5D Xilinx Virtex-7 2000T FPGA delivers 1,954,560 logic cells using 6.8 BILLION transistors (PREVIEW!)
- 3-processor SoC for digital still cameras incorporates an ARM 1136J-S RISC processor core plus separate image and video processors
- Ingenious architectural features allow ST to extract maximum performance from new microcontroller family based on ARM Cortex-M4. Cost: less than 6 bucks in 1000s
- Cadence announces synthesizable 40G and 100G Ethernet Controller, PCS, and BEAN (Backplane Ethernet Auto-Negotiation) IP
- 3D Thursday: Generation-jumping 2.5D Xilinx Virtex-7 2000T FPGA delivers 1,954,560 logic cells using 6.8 BILLION transistors (UPDATED!)
- 3D Thursday: More on the Xilinx Virtex 7 with 2.5D tiling. Wave of the future or stopgap measure?
Download the EDA360 Vision Paper here: